Welcoming Syrian Refugees to Toronto
In recent days, the Government of Canada released their strategy to welcome 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada. The Mennonite New Life Centre of Toronto (MNLCT) would like to offer our expertise in the areas of settlement, mental health and community engagement to settle and integrate these refugees.
We would like to help build an inclusive Canada that welcomes the Syrian refugees to Canada over the next few years. Given our long history of helping refugees from around the world settle in the city of Toronto, we are in a unique position to assist the Syrian refugees to build a meaningful life. As demonstrated by our ability and experiences in serving refugees from Serbia, Cuba, Mexico and Latin America, MNLCT offers expertise in the settlement, language instruction, employment services, community engagement and community mental health.
In response to the specific needs of these refugees, the Mennonite New Life Centre of Toronto has identified a number of key capacity areas where we can lend and offer our support as follows:
COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH
Individual counselling services on the following topics are available to Syrian refugees:
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), victims of war, kidnapping, sexual and physical abuse, and multiple losses
- Grieving and the refugee process
- Stress and stress management
- Anxiety and depression
- Family intervention
Group workshops allow participants to connect with others in the community for peer support and social engagement.
- Life Skills: promote resilience, develop skills to overcome difficulties, and conflict resolution in the challenge of immigration.
- Emotional Intelligence (at schools & Welcome Centres) / Parenting Skills: empower newcomer parents by giving them the tools they need to build healthy homes and to believe in and support their children of all ages so that their children can face challenges and succeed in their new society.
Volunteers are available to assist with translation for both individual counselling and group workshops.
Sponsorship Group of 5: Newcomer Settlement Program (NSP) counsellors will support relatives and persons interested in sponsoring refugees under this category.
Refugees: Our team of settlement counsellors can assist refugees with:
- Settlement counselling and a personal action plan to achieve their goals
- Filling out immigration application forms, such as permanent residence (for those refugees admitted early under a Minister Permit) and family reunification applications
- Obtaining important documents such as an Ontario Health Card to access services through the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs, and an Ontario driver’s license
- Filling out forms to access social services and benefits, such as Child Tax Benefit, Tax Credits, subsidized housing and childcare, recreation and much more
- Banking tasks such as setting up a bank account, applying for a loan, and more
Volunteers are available to assist with translation for sponsorship services.
- The services above are available at MNLCT offices or at off-site locations within the GTA or beyond if necessary.
Contact us for more information.
The Mennonite New Life Centre of Toronto