Language Instruction Giving Hope to Trauma Survivors (LIGHTS)
LIGHTS is a FREE supportive language training program with emotional wellbeing activities for learners who need extra support.
- Daily life English with real-life material
- Focus on vocabulary building and conversation practice
- Lessons adapted to participants needs and skills (LINC themes)
- NO tests or assignments and optional participation
- Use of students’ mother tongue for clarification and peer support
- Language learning websites and apps
We aim to teach participants life skills and wellbeing strategies/tools that can be used during and after the program to:
- Manage stress
- Improve memory
- Control feelings
- Boost energy
LIGHTS Program Goals
• Empower participants to manage stress and boost confidence
• Equip them with the language to describe their feelings
• Encourage them to become comfortable in simple conversations
• Prepare them to access further
• Guide them to gain access to technology, community resources, and connections
“I really enjoy to be in this class to learn English as I find that the way of its teaching is effective and stressless from my previous experience.”
– Lana, LIGHTS student
How is LIGHTS different from other English classes?
The LIGHTS program is designed to accommodate and support the needs of vulnerable newcomers who experience multiple barriers when trying to learn English:
- Small groups of up to 10 learners
- Specialized curriculum
- Once a week, 3 hours, for 12 weeks
- In-person and online options
- Richer learner-instructor interactions, two instructors: English Instructor and Wellbeing Counselor
- Individual and group coaching from professionals in areas such as mindfulness, wellness, meditation, relaxation, art, and drama
Who can participate?
Landed immigrants (PR card) or convention refugees who experience the following barriers:
- Have difficulty succeeding in traditional English classes
- Have limited knowledge of English (CLBs 0-4)
- 18 years old or older
- Residents of Ontario
When are the classes?
Tuesdays or Thursdays: Online via Zoom
Wednesdays: In-person at our Keele office
- 2737 Keele Street, Unit 9, North York M3M 2E9, 647-812-1332
Contact us to register:
LIGHTS is an alternative language program for vulnerable newcomers who have difficulty with functional communication in English and have emotional, cognitive, or academic barriers to learning English in a traditional ESL/EAL or LINC class.
The eligibility criterion to join the program is to be a permanent resident or convention refugee.
The program is tailored to all levels of English.
The program runs for 12 weeks (about 3 months) One class once a week.
You can attend the program, either online or in-person.
What’s Your Story