Free English Classes for Newcomers
Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC Program)
Now available in-person and online
LINC is a free language training program for eligible adult learners. It is funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). All our LINC instructors are TESL certified and experienced in adult education.
We offer a supportive, friendly and welcoming learning environment where students can learn the language skills to:
- Communicate effectively in a variety of different situations (shopping, banking, medical appointments, social interactions, landlord/tenant, emergencies, making a complaint, asking for help, etc.) and gain independence.
- Learn about Canadian culture/society/values
- Access the job market
- Further upgrade their education
- Age 18 or older
- Be a Permanent Resident, Convention Refugee, Convention Refugee/ Protected Person or CUAET Permit holder (for Ukrainian citizens)
- Persons in Canada whose applications for Permanent Resident status are being processed in Canada and who have been informed by a letter from IRCC of the initial approval of their application subject to an admissibility assessment
- Must be physically within the province of Ontario
- Must have a valid Language Assessment (*)
Canadian citizens, visitors, workers, international students and refugee claimants are not eligible for LINC.
* If you don’t have one we can book an appointment for you. Or you may contact YMCA / Tel. 416-925-5462 to book an appointment for the free test.
LINC Program Courses 2023 – 2024 Fall / Winter Session
Registration begins on August 21st, 2023.
Classes begin on September 5th, 2023.
|Communication / Achieve CLB 2||In-person||Sep 5, 2023||Mar 28, 2024||Mon to Fri||10:00AM - 12:00PM|
|Communication / Achieve CLB 4||In-person||Sep 5, 2023||Mar 28, 2024||Tue/Wed/Thu||9:00AM - 11:00AM|
|Communication / Achieve CLB 5||Online||Sep 5, 2023||Mar 28, 2024||Mon to Fri||9:00AM - 12:00PM|
|COMMUNICATION / ACHIEVE CLB 7||Online||Sep 5, 2023||Mar 28, 2024||Mon to Fri||9:00AM - 12:00PM|
|Communication / Achieve CLB 6||Online||Sep 5, 2023||Mar 28, 2024||Tue/Thu||6:30PM - 8:30PM|
|COMMUNICATION / ACHIEVE CLB 7||Online||Sep 5, 2023||Mar 28, 2024||Tue/Wed/Thu||6:30PM - 8:30PM|
|Communication / Achieve CLB 8||Online||Sep 6, 2023||Mar 27, 2024||Mon/Wed||6:30PM - 8:30PM|
Care for Newcomer Children (CNC)
For children 19 months to 5 years
Transportation subsidy for eligible students
We are happy to announce that CNC in-person is back, after a two-year closure due to COVID-19 restrictions.
CNC offers a great support to newcomer families by providing care for children aged 19 months to 5 years, while their parents are attending LINC courses at the same location.
CNC is a safety-first, enriching, entertaining and culturally sensitive program focusing on the specific needs of newcomer children. Activities include learning English, playing games, arts and crafts, music, dancing and singing.
Language Instruction Giving Hope to Trauma Survivors (LIGHTS)
An alternative language program for vulnerable newcomers who have difficulty with functional communication in English and have emotional, cognitive, or academic barriers to learning English in a traditional ESL/EAL or LINC class.
We offer flexible, dynamic groups and interactive classes adapted to participants’ need.
What’s Your Story
Help create an inclusive
& diverse Canada