Bridge to Registration & Employment in Mental Health
For immigrant mental health professionals who wish to work in their field, with the option of working towards becoming a Registered Psychotherapist
BREM supports immigrant mental health professionals (e.g., counselling, social work, medicine with specialization in psychiatry, psychiatric nursing, psychotherapy, therapy focusing on mental health, divinity counselling, etc.) who wish to work and license in their field.
Choose from Two Program Streams:
- Preparation for Employment. The main goal of the Employment Stream is to prepare participants to find meaningful employment in the field of mental health.
- Preparation for Registration and Employment. The main goal of the Registration Stream is to help participants meet the requirements for registration with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario, CRPO as RPs (Qualifying)* as well as preparing them for employment in the field.
Available anywhere in Ontario
Next Cohort Start Date
to start your process
Who Should Apply
Internationally educated professionals with post-secondary education in psychology or a related field where a significant component is mental health (e.g. counselling, social work, medicine with specialization in psychiatry, psychiatric nursing, psychotherapy, therapy focusing on mental health, divinity counselling, etc.)
- Post-secondary education in psychology or a related field, equivalent to 4yrs bachelor’s degree where a significant component is mental health (e.g. counselling, social work, medicine with specialization in psychiatry, psychiatric nursing, psychotherapy, therapy focusing on mental health, divinity counselling, etc.)
- Minimum of two years of relevant work experience in psychotherapy, counselling or community mental health outside of Canada
- Language proficiency of CLB 7 in all domains (reading, writing, speaking, listening)
- Legal immigration status (Naturalized Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, Convention Refugee, and Refugee Claimant with Work Permit, CUAET)
- Residence: Ontario
“I remain indebted to BREM for the personalized guidance and support throughout the whole process!” ~ Mona
I’M READY TO HELP OTHERS
Full-time program, including 4-6 months of supervised placement, mentoring and job search supports.
Full time program, including
- enhanced academic curriculum (over 1,100 hours, including a course series in psychotherapy)
- 6 months of supervised placement
- SEUS seminar (Safe and Effective Use of Self)
- small group clinical supervision
- mentoring and job search supports
For further information about becoming a registered psychotherapist in Ontario, please visit the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) website.
You can submit an Affidavit.
Once you complete the BREM program. We will give you a transcript to apply.
It is not required for BREM program but it would be good to have.
Six months for Stream R and four months for Stream E.
No. All materials will be in Moodle platform and you will be given credentials to access it.
CRPO will give you the license to work in Ontario as a Psychotherapist. Each province has their own regulations. Some will allow you to transfer your license, but you will need to check with the specific province.
I’M READY FOR THE NEXT STEP
This Employment program is funded
by the Government of Ontario